What is a C-Card?
A C-Card is the card you are given when you join the C-Card Scheme. It means you can get free condoms at different places across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

How do I get a C-Card?
Look out for the silver C-Card sign. All you need to do then is register and the only personal details we need are your date of birth and post code.

Where can I register for a C-Card?

  • Kernow Positive Support’s Office
  • The Hub, Royal Cornwall Hospital
  • Brook
  • Pharmacies
  • Colleges
  • GPs

How do I get FREE condoms?

Register for a C-Card and you’ll get your free condoms straight away. You can then use your C-Card to get free condoms wherever you see the C-Card sign. You can also access sexual health services throughout Cornwall. Visit www.savvykernow.org.uk for more information.

Why do I need to use condoms?

Condoms should be used every time you have vaginal, anal and oral sex to protect against Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Genital Warts, Genital Herpes and HIV amongst others, and to prevent unintended pregnancies. STIs are much more common that you think and often there are no symptoms.


Sometimes you may wish to use a lubricant. If you do, it must be water-based, such as Pasante Lube or KY Jelly. Did you know that oil-based lubricants like Vaseline or baby oil, can rot a condom? So don’t use them!

Sometimes a Condom can tear or split, how does this happen?

  • Tearing the condom when opening the packet, be careful of fingernails or jewellery, don’t use anything sharp to open the condom wrapper.
  • Using oil-based lubricants such as Vaseline.
  • Not expelling the air out of the teat, make sure you pinch the teat (carefully) before putting the condom on.
  • Using out of date or damaged condoms.
  • When used for anal sex without a lubricant.

What should I do if a condom splits?

Use emergency contraception.

There are two types:

  • Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) can be used up to 120 hours, but it most effective if taken within 24 hours after unprotected sex.
  • IUD or Coil, this can be fitted up to 5 days after having unprotected sex.

If you’ve had unprotected sex (you haven’t used a condom or the condom splits) or you think you have an STI, then contact Sexual Health Services at The Hub, RCHT Treliske on 01872 255 044.

Where do I go for emergency contraception?

  • Sexual Health Services at The Hub, RCHT Treliske on 01872 255 044.
  • Brook on 01209 710 088.
  • NHS non emergencies on 111.
  • Your Local Pharmacist.

Or for further information go to www.savykernow.org.uk or www.cornwallshac.org.uk

For Chlamydia screening information go to www.freetest.me

For sexual health and well-being support for under 25s, go to www.brook.org.uk